Birmingham, AL asked in Health Care Law, Personal Injury and Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: Can anything legally be done about someone sneaking alcohol into hospital patient in liver failure (north carolina).

My brother-in-law is lying to everyone about my sister's condition. The doctor states that she might survive but she can never have alcohol again. The nurses state that he keeps trying to bring in items from home, including medications. In the past, he has brought in miniature bottles of alcohol. We keep asking them to do toxicology screenings, but nothing done yet. I know it sounds paranoid, but we fear he is trying to kill her. We don't know what to do, and even more complicated is we live in another state over 600 miles away.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Maybe the family has to have a neutral do an intervention on him? She certainly seems to be enabled. Problem is that as the spouse it's tough to bar him. suggest you discuss this with social workers. If you keep him away will she feel better? Alienated from the rest of you? It's less legal than psycho-social.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.