Hillsdale, NJ asked in Divorce and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: I need help to overturn or at the very least a modification to totally unfair divorce settlement.

Due to years of emotional abuse and total financial control I had to turn to Legal Aid. Since the very start I (September 2013) expressed the importance of filing my divorce as soon as possible. They lost my paperwork in addition to other mistakes I didn't see the correct attorney until May 2014. 8 months later. The lawyer took 2 additional weeks to file. It was too late. I lost everything. I asked several times if something could be done especially when I wasn't at fault. He said absolutely not. Since then I found out there was a few alternatives. He lied and I'm on welfare, no child support, no home etc.. What can I do? I still can't afford a lawyer nor is Legal Aid to be trusted. I need someone that I can trust and is willing to accept to work pro bono. Help? Also, should I file a complaint against Legal Aid and the lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Santo Artusa Jr.
Santo Artusa Jr.
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Absent fraud, you would need to show a change in circumstances in order to obtain a modification in New Jersey.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.