Providence, RI asked in Banking and Consumer Law for Rhode Island

Q: Would credit card bank have to return money you charged to pay someones bail then found out you were scammed?

My wife got a call on from someone whom she thought was her niece in FL. She said she had been arrested and needed $2000 for bail or she would have to stay in jail for 8 wks before a court day was available. I told the Sgt. he could use my credit card, he told me they could not use my credit card, new law, but for me to buy 4 iTunes for $500 ea an send him the Nos. When this was over we found out we were Scammed. I contacted Chase Card Services, VISA within 2 hrs.of purchase and explained what happened. They said could not do anything until it was posted to my account then she could remove it. 2 days later when it was posted I was told they do not remove charges that were scammed. Couldn't speak to the first woman I talked to, they wouldn't even say she was wrong. They never even alerted me about the huge purchase which I never came close too in 16 years. I've been alerted to lesser charges by my other car I just learned from a TV court show that scammed charges could be returned.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Contact your credit card companies dispute resolution department and let them know you would like to dispute these fraudulent charges. Report the scam to the attorney general's office to help protect others.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.