Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Ohio

Q: I was an international student with f1 visa

I was caught with 6 gram of marijuanas. i was taking into a police department and i signed some paper then i was released after 2 hours. i was entered into pre judgment probation. however, I was discharged from the pre judgment probation 3 months ago. after i earned my bachelor degree i went back home.

my question is if i applied for a tourism visa or f1 visa again would that case prevent my visa application from being accepted? if i am asked weather if i have been arrested or not should i say yes?? was that consider as an arrest?


1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: What exactly do you mean when you say you were discharged from the program? Were you then sentenced? And, if so, did you serve your sentence? If there is a warrant for you, it will be a problem when you try to get a new visa. If you were simply sentenced to a fine or probation and completed that, it really shouldn't be for a single marijuana offense.

It does sound like you were arrested.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.