Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for California

Q: What happens if I cant get the other parent served custody papers cuz his family is hiding him here in CA.

Im trying to get the other parent served with child custody hearing papers but his family is hiding him. What can happen if he doesnt get served in time for the hearing? The Sheriff Dept has tried serving him with no success. I cant afford an atty and dont know how to find a pro bono atty.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Heather Mellyn Cullen
Heather Mellyn Cullen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Temecula, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You may request that the other party be served by a substitute manner of service (most commonly serving another individual or publishing in the newspaper).

It is in your best interest to consult with an experienced family law attorney who practices in the courthouse wherein your matter will be heard.

I hope it is of assistance.

Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.