Lancaster, CA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for California

Q: I am a minor at 17, and I want to see my mom that lost custody. I know she is clean and doing well can I see her?

She is married now and has a kid (my half brother) and gets to keep that kid and raise him. If she is capable of raising a new born I should have the right to see her right?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Heather Mellyn Cullen
Heather Mellyn Cullen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Temecula, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This is a difficult issue. When you are 18 you will be able to make any decision that you would like. However, the court has found that it is in your best interest to be with your father at this time. Therefore, you may want to discuss the issue of communicating with your mother with your father primarily. It may be the easiest solution. Family law dynamics are so intricate and open communication is most often the best way to address concerns.

I hope the above answer is helpful.

Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.