Asked in Contracts and Criminal Law for Wyoming

Q: Can I press charges when someone who agreed to hold my belongings in their spare space sells it without my consent?

A friend and I had a verbal agreement to store our belongings in a colleague's storage shed and extra bedroom. On 9/06/2016 we were informed the colleague would be vacating the premises, giving us until the end of September to retrieve our belongings. We made arrangements to be there the last week in September. On 9/20/2016 we were informed most of our belongings have already been sold or disposed of. We did not give her any reason be believe we would not be there for our things, yet she still disposed of or sold our belongings. We had paid her before she stored our things and agreed to pay for any additional time we may have needed when we came for them. What legal rights do we have if any in this situation

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Plymouth, IN

A: Contact the appropriate police agency and file a report. It is up to the prosecutor to file charges, but those facts would indicate criminal conduct.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.