Tupelo, MS asked in Personal Injury and Collections for Mississippi

Q: On 9/4/2009 I was involved in fender bender. Can you help me?

The other party claimed no bodily injuries. The responding officer gave me no ticket of any kind. At the time I had no license. It was expired. The last license issued to me was on 6/4/2010. Now I am finding out 7 years and 9 days later that my license is suspended because a judgement was found against me in the amount of 18,500. I really need some help. I can never pay that. Do you think that an Attorney can help me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: 1lesson--if you have a license, renew it while it's valid. Way easier, avoids the driving on expired charge;

2) Go to the DMV. Get a prinout of their history of your license. If there is a judgment notice they got, see if they can pull that and give you a copy (reason is it may just be a letter from an attorney which isn't the same--you need have a copy of what it is they got);

3) Go to the court that entered that judgment for $18,500 Get a copy of the docket sheet for that case. Also get a copy of the complaint that was filed and any proof of service of that complaint that was filed, and any order that you pay that money.

If there was a renewal of the judgment get a copy.

4) get with an attorney who handles license suspensions. she or he may be able to get the judgment closed if it was never renewed. Based on that they can look to have your suspension lifted. Or if the service wasn't made on you they may be able to use that. Finally, if all the above fails, they may be able to get your license cleared or get you a permit to drive to and from work.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.