Mississippi Collections Questions & Answers

Q: Is the statue of limitations on debt collection 3 years after receipt of last payment of from the moment of charge off?

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Mississippi on
Answered on Oct 6, 2018
Arthur Calderon's answer
3 years from the date of the initial charge; otherwise, it is considered an open account, at which point it tends to switch to the date of the last request for payment.

Q: Can a person be served without recieving the document by hand...?

2 Answers | Asked in Collections for Mississippi on
Answered on Jun 27, 2018
Arthur Calderon's answer
Yes; however, it depends on the exact circumstances in which the warrant was served.

Q: hired a realty company to manage property and they didn’t pay utilities, do a walk through or collect security deposit.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Contracts, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Mississippi on
Answered on Apr 4, 2018
Arthur Calderon's answer
Assuming that you have a valid contract, because the company has failed to adhere to the terms of that particular contract, you may be able to terminate the contract, especially if they continue to be unwilling to follow it. If the company received funds that were supposed to be allocated to paying particular bills, then they be responsible for misappropriating the funds that they received, and therefore could be liable.

Q: can my mom sign off and waive back child support that my dad owes my mom now that i am 21 years old

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Collections for Mississippi on
Answered on Mar 6, 2018
Arthur Calderon's answer
Likely not. Once a child turns 21, they (not the parent) have 7 years to pursue back child support.

Q: received judgment against employer for failure to answer and execute garnishment, what now?

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Collections for Mississippi on
Answered on Feb 1, 2018
Baskin Lowber Jones' answer
Contact an attorney about your judgment or defaulted garnishment.

Q: On 9/4/2009 I was involved in fender bender. Can you help me?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Collections for Mississippi on
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
1lesson--if you have a license, renew it while it's valid. Way easier, avoids the driving on expired charge;

2) Go to the DMV. Get a prinout of their history of your license. If there is a judgment notice they got, see if they can pull that and give you a copy (reason is it may just be a letter from an attorney which isn't the same--you need have a copy of what it is they got);

3) Go to the court that entered that judgment for $18,500 Get a copy of the docket sheet for that...

Q: I and family members have been harassed by Pinnacle Asset Group about a 14 year old debt.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Mississippi on
Answered on Aug 26, 2015
David B. Levin's answer
Talk to a consumer protection lawyer in your area. Depending on a number of variables such as how they "scared you," whether or not the collection agency misrepresented the legal status of the debt and the actions they could take, etc., you may have a claim under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act or a state consumer protection statute.

*David Levin is the Partner in charge of UpRight Law's consumer rights litigation department. UpRight Law is a national law firm with licensed...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.