Dallas, TX asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Texas

Q: My previous employer refuses to pay me and now he is out of the country. I have no idea how to get him to pay me.

I worked with my previous employer for almost a year. I was a property manager for his properties and aside from being a bad boss he always paid late so I finally decided to quit July 2016. He owes me a little over $1700 dollars and refuses to pay. I constantly send him emails and call him but no reply. He is currently in the Ukraine so I have no way to find him. What do I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anton Pal Montano
Anton Pal Montano
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Bellaire, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I am sorry that you are having to deal with this situation. If you have not done so yet, you might consider filing a complaint with the Texas Workforce Commission about your employer's failure to pay your final paycheck. This may be a violation of the Texas Payday Law and the TWC investigates such claims. Another option you might have is to file a claim in small claims court for your final payment. You might also consider consulting with an employment lawyer about your specific situation. Best wishes to you.

Please note that my answers are for general educational purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney for specific legal advice regarding your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.