Chattanooga, TN asked in Collections, Social Security and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: What do I have to do to start collecting child support from my ex who draws a disability check?

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Its not clear what you mean by "your ex"- if you are divorced, your divorce decree should have addressed the issue of child support, and if he is not paying the child support, you can file a petition for contempt through your divorce lawyer or through the child support enforcement office of your local district attorney ( every county in TN has one). If he is now disabled, the amount of support may have to be adjusted but he still has the obligation to pay whatever was originally set. You should also check with the Social Security office to see if your child is entitled to collect benefits on account of the father's disability.

If you were never married and "ex" means an ex-boyfriend, you can still file a petition for support but part of that process is proving that he is indeed the father. This means that DNA testing may be required. You best bet is to consult an experienced family law attorney asap.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.