Greenville, NC asked in Adoption and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: I want my step dad to legally adopt me. Where do I start? Do I have to file in my state of residency or his? Help

He has been my step dad since Age 2. I am 31 years old and married for 10 years. My biological father was abusive physically, mentally, and monetary, towards my mother and when he went after us she left him. My biological is somewhere in Ca he owes an extensive amount of child support still from when my brother and I were kids. My step-dad is my dad he has been the one to raise me and guide me and care for me growing up. He has always treated me as his own. I want to make it official and be his daughter legally! I live in North Carolina and he lives in Va still married to my mom. I just don't know where to start. My husband is a reservist as well so if I that helps being military I do t know please help. I would like to do this for him for Christmas! Thank you for you time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You are an adult, the time for you to have been adopted has passed. Some states do allow the adoption of an adult but usually only if the adult meets certain requirements such as being physically and / or mentally impaired.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.