Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Divorce for North Carolina

Q: My wife filed for Absolute Divorce & won by lying about date of separation. 2 mos, not 1 yr sepatn. Anyway I can reopen?

I have police reports, witnesses, pictures, and other paperwork proving that we were still together until 2 months before she filed for the divorce. She won the case because I was sickly during the time she sent papers, I just started a job 2 months before and didn't realize she was actually sending divorce papers she had filed and not legal separation papers. She has the townhome we lived in on the market & has moved into a house when I upped the value of the townhome with renovations. Amongst other things. She was HOH on tax papers 4/13/2016 & kept all $. Im sleeping in my car. The divorce is considered uncontested and finalized as of September 2016 when I have proof we just split 60 days before she filed. Today was my sit down to discuss Equitable Distribution. This is a complete railroad session. Is there ANY way or paperwork can file that can help or push to reopen or contest this divorce, and demand or request any kind of support, alimony, equitable distribution or anything?

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: First things first - you don't 'win' a divorce and there is no such thing as 'legal separation papers'. That said, if she lied about the separation date, she can be in a heap of trouble as she may be charged with perjury and you may be able to get the divorce set aside. However, being 'sickly' and unaware of what you were served with doesn't necessarily relieve you of the need to have answered or otherwise properly / timely responded to the divorce complaint. There is no question you need an attorney which is what you should have done to begin with or you can expect a lot more of what you call 'railroading'. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.