Camden, SC asked in Traffic Tickets for South Carolina

Q: I was charged with reckless driving in SC. The road was wet and when I pulled out my tires spun. I was also arrested.

I have no criminal record. No priors other then one speeding ticket. The officer sent me to jail for the night. What should I do to fight this in court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Allison Brandt Blackwelder
Allison Brandt Blackwelder
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Bottom line: Contact an attorney to see what options might be available to you and your specific set of circumstances prior to your court date.

Reckless Driving is a serious traffic offense and can lead to issues with license suspension, insurance premium increases, and other employment-related issues if you are convicted. Reckless driving is an arrestable offense, but the officer had the choice to take you to jail (they could have given you a citation in lieu of arrest). This tells me that he/she thought something happened that warranted extreme measures. Whether or not that was the case is an argument to be presented later. In general, officers prosecute their own traffic tickets in South Carolina, so having someone on your side who knows the law and has experience in traffic court is imperative to getting the best possible results.

I wish you luck and would be happy to assist should you like to discuss your case further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.