Salem, OH asked in Adoption, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: I am going to be 18 June 2 and my adoptive dad has said that he doesn't care about losing me can I leave?

I have a steady job. I pay insurance and car and phone payments and I have kept a 3.8 GPA and been taking college courses since my freshman year but I have been severely abused by my mother until I was put under a restraining order last year. My father treats me like I am nothing to him and he adopted me when I was 9.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Talk to a school counselor, someone at church, or other trusted adults about your situation. Your adoptive father has legal responsibility for you, and you could get in trouble if you leave and he reported you. When you are 18, you are legally an adult and can make your own decisions. That's only 4 months away. Get advice from those you trust, so in 4 months you can do what is in your best interest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.