Denver, CO asked in Employment Law, Banking and Domestic Violence for Colorado

Q: I was fired due to what I feel is retaliation.what are my rights?

I have a domestic violence case against my ex. I notified my employer due to safety concerns. They were working with me for a few weeks to safety plan. They fired me today, brought up the d.v. issues and then tried to tell me that a customer had complained that they were uncomfortable with me preforming their transactions. I feel like my employer is using a complaint as cover for firing me for personal issues. Do I have any rights here? Should I file a complaint with the Colorado department of labor?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You should contact an employment or discrimination lawyer (most offer a free consultation). Colorado generally protects the victims of crime from being discriminated against by employers, lenders, etc. However, this type of case is largely based on the strength of the evidence available (since most cases turn on oral statements), so you will need to have a lawyer review your situation to provide an assessment and your chances of success. You can file a complaint, but this will not likely result in reinstatement or any compensatory damages, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.