Irvine, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: Entering into a default dissolution with an agreement but the last name of my partner is now different from the petition

I have filled for Dissolution of domestic partnership. My partner will not be responding and we have signed agreement. The problem is that she had a change of last name and her notarized signature is different than what i have on my forms. Is there another form i will need to fill out due to this? Should I get another letter notarized explaining the situation that i can file along with the agreement?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rivka Israel
Rivka Israel
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your partner changed her name prior to the filing of the dissolution the Petition should be amended to correct her name. This is not complicated to do but the Petition would then have to be reserved on your partner. If she changed her name after you filed your Petition then you can submit to the court a copy of the name change documents and the court should accept it that way.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.