Wilmington, NC asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Education Law for North Carolina

Q: Withdrew son from school due to bullying.

Our 7 y.o. son was verbally and physically bullied at his school. We contacted his teacher, guidance counselor, Assistant Principal, Principal, Assistant Superintendent and the Superintendent. We also contacted the School Board. Over the 4+ months this occurred nothing seemed to get done. The school would just say for our son to come and tell a teacher. He was then advised by the bullies that snitches get stitches. Our son finally begged us not to send him back. His pediatrician talked to him and referred him for counseling. We think the school doesn't want any bully report numbers so they call it everything but. Our son has been hit with branches, held down and had his face pushed into the dirt, etc. The bullying seems to start due to a speech disability our son has. Do we need to just forget about this and go on?

He does have an IEP. The bullying seems to start because of his speech.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: For starters you could request an IEP and get a better place. There's usually no great answer on bullying. There should be a center in NC that deals with education law issues. The Education Law Center in Philadelphia might have the names of some NC organizations or where you can go to get such names.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.