Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

North Carolina Education Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Appeals / Appellate Law, Constitutional Law and Education Law for North Carolina on

Q: How long did it take you to become a lawyer?

specifically, how long you were in school and what classes you took.

Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 24, 2019

It's generally 3 years full-time, or 4 years part-time at night. Some schools have accelerated programs. Depending on the institution, you take mandatory core courses that generally include contracts, torts, constitutional law, property law, criminal law, wills/trusts, legal writing, negotiable... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Education Law and Family Law for North Carolina on

Q: can my legal parent/guardian allow me to quit school at 15 in NC without any consequences?

Im 15 and I have depression/Anxiety and I cant handle school anymore I really want to get out of school but i dont want to get taken away or get into trouble and I love my parents so I dont want them to get in trouble eaither. Is there something they could do to get me out of school without any... Read more »

Amanda Bowden Houser answered on Apr 1, 2019

You have to wait until you are 16 to make one of the worst decisions of your life. Look into the possibility of home schooling.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Education Law for North Carolina on

Q: Can you help my son he is been accused of touching another student?

My son us 7 years old.. They called me to let me know that xxx had touched a student inappropriately on the bus..they took the girls statement and his.. He got suspended they called the police and dss.. I don't know if this is normal or if they acted like he was a criminal. I really need someone's... Read more »

Amanda Bowden Houser answered on Nov 15, 2018

You need to not make any statements to police or DSS and lawyer up. You can likely thank that ridiculous #metoo movement for all the fuss over a 7 year old boy touching a girl on the bus but yes, if the girl's story can not be immediately and conclusively disproved, suspensions, police and DSS... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Support and Education Law for North Carolina on

Q: Do I need a Indiana lawyer to get an agreement that I signed dismissed thru the court due to it being invalid now?

The agreement is for post secondary educational expenses for an emancipated 19 year old/ 20 in October '18. Agreement was for a school that child is no longer attending. Has also moved out of a shared apartment. Moving home for now. The agreement was expenses for this specific school and toward a... Read more »

Melissa Averett answered on Sep 20, 2018

There is no way to accurately answer this question without reading the agreement and knowing a lot more facts about your situation, but I can tell you that if the agreement was signed by a judge in Indiana and entered in a court in Indiana then you definitely need an Indiana lawyer. If it's a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for North Carolina on

Q: In North Carolina..can our 16 year old child drop out of school without our permission?

Amanda Bowden Houser answered on May 17, 2018

Technically, yes but if he still lives at home with you, then you can make him go to school if he is eligible to attend.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Education Law and Criminal Law for North Carolina on

Q: There is people at my school that are spying on me and telling another person what im doing. please help.

my sister told people at my school my dads number and told them to tell him what ti do during the day and stuff. The thing is my dad has no custody over me and i don't live in the same state as him. i want him out of my life. is there something i can do to involving the people spying on me, like is... Read more »

Amanda Bowden Houser answered on Mar 8, 2018

As long as they are not violating any laws, it is perfectly legal for anyone to observe your public actions and report that to another person - there is nothing legal you can do to prevent it except stay in an enclosed private place 100% of the time. More likely than not, if this is something your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Juvenile Law and Criminal Law for North Carolina on

Q: What is a 9 yr old child's right when they are grabbed by a teacher in Greensboro NC

Amanda Bowden Houser answered on Feb 7, 2018

Depends what you mean by 'grabbed'. If you mean grabbed in its normal definition, then a teacher would normally and very rightfully do that usually due to one of two things 1) because the child is misbehaving and / or 2) to prevent the child from getting hurt. In either of those cases the child... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Family Law for North Carolina on

Q: How can an 18yo transfer high schools without parental consent?

A student in North Carolina has been kicked out of his house at the age of 18. If he stays he's basically homeless. However, he has the option to go down to Florida where he can find help and a place of residency. His parents will not condone this. How can he transfer from the school he is in (NC)... Read more »

Amanda Bowden Houser answered on Dec 4, 2017

He is 18, and an adult and has been kicked out - why would he care what his parents condone? They don't get to kick him out and then still control what he does.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Education Law for North Carolina on

Q: I have been out of school since 2015. My question is is it possible to get back in school.

Good morning, I was looking online and came across your website and if possible I would like to ask you a few questions because I am seeking help if possible.

I came to the US on a track scholarship for school back in 2011 and finished in 2015. After graduating I didn't want to go back to... Read more »

Myron Morales answered on Oct 16, 2017

Contact your Designated School Official and ask them about reinstatement. It might be a weak application, but it is an option.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Employment Law for North Carolina on

Q: Can a school district fire me for seeking employment elsewhere?

Kirk Angel answered on Sep 17, 2017

Yes, unless you have "career" status as a teacher or administrator. Career status employees can only be terminated for specific types of conduct. Otherwise, employment with public school systems in North Carolina is "at-will."

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Education Law for North Carolina on

Q: Withdrew son from school due to bullying.

Our 7 y.o. son was verbally and physically bullied at his school. We contacted his teacher, guidance counselor, Assistant Principal, Principal, Assistant Superintendent and the Superintendent. We also contacted the School Board. Over the 4+ months this occurred nothing seemed to get done. The... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 27, 2017

For starters you could request an IEP and get a better place. There's usually no great answer on bullying. There should be a center in NC that deals with education law issues. The Education Law Center in Philadelphia might have the names of some NC organizations or where you can go to get such... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Traffic Tickets for North Carolina on

Q: i just got my 3rd excessive speeding ticket. the other 2 i have already done traffic school for and taken online school

what should i do? Will my license get revoked?

Amanda Bowden Houser answered on Nov 2, 2016

Hire a traffic attorney like you should have done for the first two tickets and stop speeding.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for North Carolina on

Q: My teacher made me stand up and recite the pledge. Is that legal?

I was doing work and the pledge came on and I was the only one sitting down. He called out my name and said that I must stand up and say the pledge. Is that legal?

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Nov 3, 2015

So you don't believe you owe allegiance to the United States? Are you perhaps a citizen of some other country?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for North Carolina on

Q: My daughters teacher did not abide to an ferpa law what steps can I take toward the teacher?

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 23, 2015

Start by conferring with the principal and then the school board.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for North Carolina on

Q: What are the rights high school teachers have to students?

My teacher forced me to add heading on my binder's dividers. I didn't do it, I don't want to do it. And she gave me a 0 on my power school, on the project called binder check. I was like wtf??? Yes, she told us to do it, and she will check. Is this legal?

And if we find a law about this... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot answered on Sep 4, 2015

She has the power to give you a failing grade if you do not follow instructions in class, doesn't she? If she does not have the power to do that, how can teachers across the USA grade anything at all?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.