Sedro Woolley, WA asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Bankruptcy for Washington

Q: Can I file ch 13 or 7 during foreclosure on a reverse mortgage? Mediation is in 2 days, trustee sale is in 4.

My mom was prey to a predatory loan. Shortly after her husband of 35 years passed, she was talked into a reverse mortgage, and told she wouldn't have to worry about anything. When I came into the picture, they had paid for 3 years. I tried to get her exempt from property taxes every 6 months, but they kept paying them, which would increase her income and knock her out of qualifying. When I approached them they filed foreclosure on us with malice. Three attys have turned away from me, and now I am facing this alone for my mom. Is there any help for us?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nels Hansen
Nels Hansen
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Round Rock, TX

A: You need to contact a local bankruptcy attorney and schedule a consultation as soon as possible. If you are facing foreclosure and if it is appropriate you want to file the bankruptcy before the foreclosure sale. Once the foreclosure sale takes place your options will be limited if not gone completely.

You can search for a local bankruptcy attorney in your area using the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys website ( or you can search for an attorney using the Justia "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.