Greensboro, NC asked in Family Law and Elder Law for North Carolina

Q: My mom is negligent in my father's care. Their marriage has been unstable for a while. What can I do as the daughter?

My parents have been divorced before. My concern is my mom leaves my dad after he has surgeries and when is he sick. She just wants him to die so she can have his wealth. She left him and he passed out and I came to help from another state. She has left again to Ohio and he is a terminally ill cancer patient. She claims to go take care of her mom but there are other siblings and caregivers already doing so. On top of this he is drinking with his medication and no one has access to his medical files or his doctor. Not even her. I have heard her say on the phone she just wants to get her money and leave.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You may want to consult with a local attorney regarding being appointed as a guardian. If your father is competent, he may also want to consider modifying his will. He likely will not be able to cut her out completely but he could likely limit things to he elective share.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.