Warwick, RI asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Juvenile Law for Rhode Island

Q: my 12 year old son is expressing to me that he can't take the stress and anxiety that he is feeling during time with dad

he calls me thru facebook and looks very worried and nervous but when i say i will come get him even though its not my day he says no it will just make it worse. his anxiety and stress just seems to be getting worse. he father and i have joint custody and shared placement since the divorce. his father is not a easy man to talk to, when i did try he just screamed at me and told me that he would sell his house and spend the profit to be sure that i would never see my son again. i just don't know what to do to help my child and what my options are because i cannot afford a lawyer to fight him in court. any advice would be greatlt appriciated.

1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Work with his counselor and your best to help establish healthy co-parenting support. If it becomes necessary to modify the custody situation, meet with and retain an attorney to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.