Chicago, IL asked in Tax Law and Social Security for Kentucky

Q: Can the IRS levy your SSI? I only recieve 735.00 a month & they took my whole 100.00 savings leaving my acct with zero.

I just found out the IRS took my 100.00 savings out of US BANK listed as a tax levy and it left me with only 56.00 dollars to live on for the rest of the month. I only get a total of 735.00 a month for SSI and now if they are taking money out of that i will not be able to even survive as i barely have enough each month as it is to live on. Also, if they are allowed to take this monthly, can i stop it somehow? Hardship? Bankruptcy? i am 58 and lost all my old records so i will have trouble even getting records to file for bankruptcy if i am able to. I am really worried about this. I dont own a car, house, nothing and have congestive heart failure, please help me figure out what i can do as this stress is not good for me. I live month to month and have zero assets.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Matthew M Montoya
Matthew M Montoya
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Lone Tree, CO

A: Contact a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic in your area. You can run a search by going to the Taxpayer Advocate Service website.

If your situation is accurate, the clinic should be able to help you.

A: Yes they can garnish a portion of SSI. You should call them and ask about a payment plan. If you do nothing they'll just keep taking your stuff.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.