Austin, TX asked in Workers' Compensation and Employment Law for Texas

Q: I was a CDL driver when I was injured IN 2013 and am now returning to a driving career, I was given a wrongful reference

My old employer gave false dates and put that I was injured and had hired an attorney for my injury. They made it sound as if I was a risk to hire because I had hired an attorney when I was hurt on the job with my old employer. The new company I applied at denied me employment due to this reporting of false dates and I'm certain the negative info. didn't help any either. Were my privacy rights violated and what can I do???

1 Lawyer Answer
Beatriz Adriana Sosa-Morris
Beatriz Adriana Sosa-Morris
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You may want to look at the settlement agreement you entered into with your old employer over the work related injury. It may include a "mutual non-disparagement" or require the old employer to give you a neutral employment reference.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.