Asked in Family Law for California

Q: If I get married in Idaho but live in California, what jurisdiction would my marriage be subject to?

My fiancée is from Idaho and I am from Spain, but we both plan to set our permanent residence in her grandmother's house in California. My question is, what jurisdiction would this marriage fall under, Idaho's or California's?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rivka Israel
Rivka Israel
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In question is the missing information Jurisdiction for what purpose? Generally, the controlling jurisdiction (during a divorce for example) is the jurisdiction in which you reside. For the purpose of a prenup, the jurisdiction would be the place the marriage is performed/registered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.