Watertown, MA asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Rhode Island

Q: How do I obtain custody my children?

Basically, I was in a pretty bad relationship that resulted in the pregnancy of my ex girlfriend. Although my son is due in June, she continues to consume wine. Even before the pregnancy while she was breastfeeding her daughter, she would consume wine and other types of liquor. She even smoked a cigar in her car before we went to pick her up at her uncle's house, knowing that her daughter was born with respiratory issues. She used to go to therapy for depression as well as anxiety but discontinued the process of going for unknown reasons. Although all I have is certain text messages and video evidence showing how she ended up taking everything out of the apartment we used to own and making it inhospitable, I just want to know if there's anything I can do to get custody of the children. I don't feel assured they'll be in safe environment with her.

1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Custody matters are complex and best addressed with the assistance of a professional. Look for, and retain a family court attorney, to make sure you case is presented well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.