Lehigh Acres, FL asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can the mother of my child take him out of state without my permission?

I live in Florida, my child lives in Hendry county with his mother. I pay child support. I have never been arrested. The mother is currently threatening to take my son out of state to TN without my permission for and extended amount of time. This time is extremely important to me as well as my son. Do I have any options to stop this from happening? I've tried calling DCF but no one offers me any advice or any help. I love my son and do not want him taken out of state where I am not sure if he will be taken care of or even if she will will return. My son is 6 years old. Please point me in the direction of some real assistance with this as I do not want to lose my son.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory P. Farrar
Gregory P. Farrar
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pensacola, FL

A: If you have a court order which restricts the mother you may file a motion for injunction to prevent the removal of your child from the jurisdiction of the court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.