Deerfield Beach, FL asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Florida

Q: I married a guy for love. He married me for Greencard. He never moved in with me. What do I do?

I don't want to get in trouble with the law. I tried to get him to move in but he just kept making excuses. I finally get gave up,due to I was taking care of my Grandfather until he passed. I got married in 2012. I went to the first interview at immigration with him. I don't remember much because I had been up for 24 hours with my Grandfather. I think it was for a 2 year greencard,which now should be expired. I do not know what to do or where to go. Do I report him and if so will I get in trouble for waiting so long?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Deborah Bianchi Tracht
Deborah Bianchi Tracht
  • Lauderdale By The Sea, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need to file for divorce

A: This appears to be a sham marriage. I would suggest you contact and discuss the implications with an immigration attorney regarding how this may impact your situation. Regardless you should initiate a petition for dissolution of marriage or given the circumstances perhaps a petition for annulment of marriage if it was never consummated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.