Q: I'm a resident of North Carolina can I request my son father parents right terminated, based on abandonment over 6 yrs??

He's currently been taken to court in VA for not paying child support since 2011 because I got married with my husband. My husband is trying to adopt my son and change his last name!! My son doesn't know/understands that he's not his biological father and constantly ask why he has a different last name than the rest of us !! Do I need to make the request here in NC or in VA where the child support case is been prosecuted!!

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If you and the child have resided in NC for at least the last 6 months, it may be possible to petition to terminate parental rights. If you are successful in terminating his right you will also terminate his obligation to pay child support - you don't get both. Contact a local family law attorney to go over your options. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.