Cliffside Park, NJ asked in Family Law and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: I have twin 19yr old daughter's in college if one comes to live with me do I still have to pay supportfor the other

They both reside with their mother but one might come live with me. So wondering if they would cancel each other out if we both have one.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Michael A. Conte

  • Pennington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: It depends. Child support for children in college is supposed to be based on the child's reasonable needs. You also need to consider the interplay between college costs for the child and child support. Certain expenses overlap - for instance you generally pay room & board to a college and paying for shelter and food is part of what constitutes child support. As these expenses may be different for different children, one of your girls may have higher costs than the other one. That said, you can come to an agreement (for simplicity sake or otherwise) with you ex-spouse to agree that neither party will pay support to the other party. If you go that route, you should retain a family law attorney to draft a simple consent order, for your ex to sign and then to submit to the Court. If your ex will not agree, then you will need to file an application with the Court to enter a new order determining the issue.

Leonard R. Boyer

  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Each case will have to be decided on the specific facts of that case. To properly answer your questions and address your concerns, the best way to handle this is by retaining an experienced matrimonial attorney. You need the best attorney you can afford, do not let geographic considerations be a factor in your choice of an attorney. Pick the best lawyer you can find and remember one rule: a good lawyer is generally never cheap, and a cheap lawyer is generally never good so don't choose based on price.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.