Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law, Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma

Q: After ahouse has been vacant for 3 years and is in foreclosure. Can the property owner break into said house and rentit

I moved into the property without the knowledge of it being deemed vacant and in foreclosure for 3 years. I also was under the impression that I was buying the house from the owner. Come to find out he cannot profit legally from this property without notifying the secondary debt collection company and he is not doing that. Now is our lease null and void if he does not contact them??

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you intend to break your lease, you must normally do so in writing and allow the landlord the opportunity to correct the problem. If it appears you may be losing your residence and have already paid the rent for that month, you may consider filing a claim in small claims court for the money owed. The limit on a small claims action in Oklahoma is at $7,000.00. If your income is limited, you may want to contact Legal Aid or the law school closest to you may have a clinic to assist.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.