Chicago, IL asked in Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander and Probate for Illinois

Q: My deceased fathers girlfriend is claiming his property. As his independent administrator how do i retrieve it?

She changed ALL locks after dad died. I have personal property on the premises as well and have also stayed there. The land lord is turning a blind eye and attempting to be uninvolved because the building is now up for sale anyway. I need to gain access and retrieve HIS AND MY things.

Additionally me and my immediate family have spent monies and toiled because we have been denied this property, for my dads own memorial services and more.

His ex girlfriend has attempted to put out a false no stalking order on my mom and brother and possibly me. She stole my fathers computer and has possibly generated a fake lease (possibly back dated before my fathers death) which i believe she is using whenever i show up to the residence with police and try to get his property, 3 times so far.

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert D. Kreisman
Robert D. Kreisman
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Because of the resistance being made the only way to legally move this girlfriend out of the way is to open a probate estate and have yourself or a family member appointed administrator of the estate. That way you will have the court's authority to take possession of your dad's property, which you would be ordered to do, without interference from anyone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.