Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Illinois Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: Hi, I am currently deeply twisted up in some very deep legal issues and am desperate for help! I have no idea what to do
Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink answered on Jan 6, 2021

If you are facing legal issues, you need to hire an attorney that handles the type of matter you are dealing with. The sooner you contact an attorney, the better.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: My girlfriend is in divorce proceedings. Her ex has brought me up in court docs. Can I sue for defamation?

I have been brought up negatively in multiple court docs and lawyer to lawyer emails. I have never had interaction with the ex. For example he won't let me babysit their children, but they can live in my house once divorce is settled. Calls people who can watch his kids as responsible adults?... Read more »

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq. answered on Dec 1, 2020

First, this is not a question for Justia's divorce lawyers. You should redirect it to the libel/slander or injury lawyers.

Second, you have not given enough facts to warrant a responsible answer. You should meet in person with an attorney who does this work, so you can explain...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander, Personal Injury and Criminal Law for Illinois on
Q: Where can you find an attorney personally invested for a demand to ensure justice? practicing all areas of law
William Wolf
William Wolf answered on Oct 19, 2020

I can only speak for myself as a criminal defense lawyer. I guess the best answer is to ask the lawyer you're thinking about hiring why they became a lawyer. I would also ask the lawyer what professional associations they belong to and why.

I find that many of the best criminal...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: How do I file a sute
George W. Svoboda
George W. Svoboda answered on Aug 18, 2020

Filing a lawsuit for libel or slander in IL is a serious matter. You should consult an experienced attorney. Libel is difficult to prove and is not normally suitable for a self-represented, small claims case.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: can you get sued for defamation of character if you post something and you don't use the persons name at all?
S. Janaan Hashim
S. Janaan Hashim answered on Aug 30, 2019

The elements of successfully proving a defamation of character tort in Illinois are the following: (1) the defendant made a false statement about the plaintiff; (2) there was an unprivileged publication to a third party; (3) fault by the defendant amounting to at least negligence; and (4) the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: Are shaming sites legal? People privately submit stories of others they know, bad stories, meant to expose them.

I know doxing is illegal, say they post address and phone, but what if they just post the city / state, is that illegal?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 3, 2018

As a general rule, if people intentionally publish false things about others, verbally or in writing, they could be sued for defamation.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: I'm facing harassment, libel, slander, and defamation online and in person. I have evidence. What to do next?

This has been ongoing from multiple sources for years but I have just recently decided to stop putting up with it and started gathering evidence. Some of it I think is criminal cyberbullying and I'm also interested in pursuing a civil suit for defamation. I'm emotionally distraught and... Read more »

T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky answered on Sep 9, 2018

Your next step depends how much you are willing spend to take legal action. As a suggestion, hire an attorney who sends a letter to the people who bothering you that you plan to take legal action if they do not stop. If they don't stop after they receive the legal letter, you will have to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: My direct boss knowingly sent false information about me to higher ups upon my resignation, is this grounds for libel?

I was part of what I would describe as a hostile work environment and after numerous documented complaints of being mistreated I eventually resigned. As such I sent a respectful letter of my resignation via email to my direct mgr. and hr. In response to this my direct boss sent an email to 5 higher... Read more »

T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky answered on Sep 8, 2018

It does sound that you do have a case for libel; however, on the other hand, what are your damages? If these communications prevents you from finding another job, your case becomes stronger. On surface, the cost and time of any litigation may not justify pursing this matter.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: Can a lawyer disclose if the plaintiff's retainer has been paid to the defendant if they were to call and ask?

I live in Illinois. The plaintiff's retainer is not being paid by the defendant. The defendant was claiming to have talked to my lawyer and he supposedly disclosed that my retainer has not been paid in full. Is that legal?

James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg answered on Feb 26, 2018

It may not be illegal, but it strikes me as ethically improper.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Libel & Slander, Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Illinois on
Q: I was in a vehicle accident a couple months ago during my recovery an employee of mine had my former customers sign a pa

Paper saying I was shutting the doors to my business (which I'm not) and having those customers go through his business that he was starting is there any legal action I can take

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 11, 2017

Yes, you can file an action to have the earnings from those customers go to you. You need to consult a business attorney who handles partnership and other business litigation dealing with who shares in the proceeds of a business.

If you have the business's computers you need to get...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: what steps to take to amend a police auto accident report?

My witness said nothing happened. Police officer got me with hit and run ,yet report from my statement and other drivers statement agree I was there till other driver left.

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell answered on Jul 1, 2017

It can be supplemented. However, this is the responsibility of ur lawyer.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander and Probate for Illinois on
Q: My deceased fathers girlfriend is claiming his property. As his independent administrator how do i retrieve it?

She changed ALL locks after dad died. I have personal property on the premises as well and have also stayed there. The land lord is turning a blind eye and attempting to be uninvolved because the building is now up for sale anyway. I need to gain access and retrieve HIS AND MY things.... Read more »

Robert D. Kreisman
Robert D. Kreisman answered on Mar 30, 2017

Because of the resistance being made the only way to legally move this girlfriend out of the way is to open a probate estate and have yourself or a family member appointed administrator of the estate. That way you will have the court's authority to take possession of your dad's property,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Illinois on
Q: In Illinois can you sue a minor for defamation
Steve McCann
Steve McCann answered on Mar 21, 2017

It is possible, but your chances of success depend on very specific facts that are not provided here. Further, even if you can prove defamation and actual damages, recovering is a different story. I would recommend organizing all information relevant to this situation, and consult with an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: can I sue a local paper for false information

Recently I received a citation for dumping out some Bloody Mary mix down the drain after I quit my job. It was my personal recipe and didn't want it duplicated. I was given a citation for theft and have to go to village hall. Few days later I was told by few customers at my new job that they... Read more »

Steve McCann
Steve McCann answered on Mar 8, 2017

Yes, you can sue nearly anyone for nearly anything. The real question to ask is whether or not you will recover. In this instance, I understand it is embarrassing to be told you were in jail, when in fact you were not. However, unless the alleged slanderous statement was directed to the way in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability and Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: Can a car get reposed if you have the title and a bill of sale?

The car was bought over 2 years ago. The dealer mistakenly gave my husband the title and a bill of sale. The DMV filed all the documents and issued my husband a clean title.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 30, 2016

If the title shows no possessory interest, then they may not be able to repossess. I suggest you contact a consumer attorney who s a member of give free consultations. If you /your husband is getting notice of an intent to reposess he needs to draw the clean title and receipt to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: My Landlord is ignoring the fact that I'm being harassed by my neighbors. Even when I show them proof of the harassment.

I was assaulted by my former neighbors on 4-28-2016 & it was all caught on video. They were arrested that same day. & Since then my family & I have been getting harassed & lied on constantly by the friends of our former neighbors who still reside in this park & the landlord. We... Read more »

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell answered on Nov 20, 2016

Based on your question, u have no basis to sue them for anything. If the landlord isn't making people follow the rules and you do not like it, your only option is to leave.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: I have evidence that people lied on the stand to get a false stalking order granted against me. Who do I take this to?
Brian Polinske
Brian Polinske answered on Nov 1, 2016

You simply file a police report about the incident. The police will choose to investigate or not. If they move forward they can either file a misdemeanor charge against the person(s) who testified or seek more serious charges against them from the State's Attorney.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Illinois on
Q: Who do I talk to concerning a person who committed perjury under oath to get a stalking no contact order granted?

On 7-18-2016 this lady went to court & lied to the judge & said that I was stalking her. I was also present that day in court & I told the judge she was lying & upset because her friends who happen to be my neighbors @ the time. Got put out by the park or moved out on their own for... Read more »

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell answered on Oct 23, 2016

The judge determines the credibility of the witnesses. If the judge ruled against you, he/she may not have believed you. That does not mean the other party is guilty of perjury. If you are being stalked by the other party, you may seek such an order.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: I work as a bartender. I have a customer who continually tells my customers I steal, short change people and that I am

Rude. Recently she approached one of the bosses to have a meeting to discuss me. She gathered many customers and my bosses basically sat and complained about me and asked that I be fired. Is this defamation? Was my employer at fault for discussing my employment with others?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 8, 2016

Your employer can discuss items of customer disatisfaction that involve you. That she gathered many customers says that maybe a claim might not be that strong? Here's the problem--some things "rude" are opinion. As to facts--short changing people, stealing--are clearly libelous. So... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: Does this claim to sue for defamation of character have any merit?

Hello! My name is Taylor, I had a question regarding Facebook Groups. I am one of the administrators for a group where people sell lapel pins. We have a strict rule against using other people's art as your own and making a profit off it. One girl did just that, so we banned her from the group.... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Sep 3, 2015

Yes, it might. That would depend upon the actual facts. You cannot say something to others about someone, without knowing whether it is true or false. You at least had the obligation here to find out whether it was stolen art or not. I suggest that you go speak with a local civil litigator about... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.