Greenville, NC asked in Employment Law, Workers' Compensation and Employment Discrimination for North Carolina

Q: I work at the hospital And they haven't been paying me the right amount of money it's supposed to be for 2 and a half...

Years. When I told my manager she said, she did not know and it was an mistake, and changed it. Shouldn't I be getting back pay.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kirk Angel
Kirk Angel
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Concord, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: It depends on the situation. However, if you have a written pay plan or promise of specific wages and the employer did not pay that amount, then you will likely have a claim under the North Carolina Wage and Hour Act. Keep in mind, that the employer is not technically required to pay those back wages until a court orders it to. That usually means that you have to retain a lawyer and file a lawsuit against them. I strongly recommend that you consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible. You have a rolling two year statute of limitations which means that each day you wait you are losing days of pay off your claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.