Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Kirton M. Madison
2 Answers | Asked in Small Claims, Employment Law and Collections for North Carolina on
Q: Can I take legal action to receive the total compensation I should have been paid while working there?

While interviewing for a chain restaurant GM position mid Dec of 2019 I was asked what annual salary I would accept to leave where I was currently employed and work there. I asked for 65,000 and the district Mgr at that time who was interviewing me agreed, but he said they would need to start me at... Read more »

Kirton M. Madison
Kirton M. Madison answered on Jun 16, 2021

Yes. You can take action. You should hurry though because you are running up against the statute of limitations. You should be able to use the documentation and text messages that you already have in your possession. You may take the restaurant to small claims court for the difference in the amount... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for North Carolina on
Q: How long can a previous employer legally expect payback for income that was accidentally overpaid during employment?

The amount overpaid was under $2,000. There is no contract stating the overpayment would be paid back.

Kirton M. Madison
Kirton M. Madison answered on Jun 7, 2021

First, it should be determined if the employee was actually overpaid. If there was an overpayment, the employer may ask them to return the money. If the employee refuses to return the money, the employer may take them to court to recover it.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Employment Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can you get fired for wanting to be sent home after requesting payment that was never received?

I am a traveling worker & I was sent to work at a site. They have trouble paying people. So I told the site manager & regional manager that I haven't been paid. The site manager eventually quit so all I had was the regional one to deal with. He told me that he already paid me on a card... Read more »

Kirton M. Madison
Kirton M. Madison answered on Jun 2, 2021

You have a right to complain about unpaid wages but you may not be allowed to choose your worksite unless you have an employment contract that says otherwise. You can complain through your company's formal channels about the unpaid wages and the worksite's timekeeping issues. If that is... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.