Inola, OK asked in Employment Law and Immigration Law for Oklahoma

Q: If the employer in Oklahoma cannot fill an I-9 for an international, what other forms must they fill out?

I am a international who graduated from college last year and is currently married to an American Citizen. We've been told by an immigration lawyer that I'm technically allowed to work but I cannot fill out an I-9, are there some other forms that an employer must fill out in order to hire me? If so, what are the steps to doing so?

1 Lawyer Answer
Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you are technically permitted to work, then your immigration attorney should be able to guide you toward getting whatever documents you need to fill out Form I-9. Whether the document is a work visa or a social security card or a U.S. passport or something else permitted, you can't work legally without Form I-9. Moreover, working illegally could interfere with your immigration interests. You should discuss this in detail with your immigration attorney. If your immigration attorney does not know how to get the paperwork straightened out, then you need a different immigration attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.