Aurora, OH asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Ohio

Q: The police lied about not arresting him. I wrote a statement about verbal abuse/threats i want all charges dropped

Police stated they would keep record of verbal fight. He stated he WISHED i was dead. And IF i were a man he would snap my neck. They arrested him without me wanting them to saying it is because we have a son. Now our family is broken. I want all charges dropped but i know he needs counseling. If he gets charged we lose our home and can't live together. Now cps is involved as well. They have a protection order up as well that i didnt want. What can i do to get him off? Will me not showing up or cooperating get him off? We can't afford a lawyer. What can i do without one? Are there charity cases?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph W. Stadnicar Esq
Joseph W. Stadnicar Esq
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Beavercreek, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Once charged, only the judge has the authority to dismiss a case. The prosecutor also has significant sway over which charges may be dismissed. You may wish to meet with and speak to the prosecutor; the judge will not speak with you about the case. The best place to start is with the Victim Advocate for your court or with the prosecutor's office. As a victim of a crime you have a statutory right to have someon of your choosing represent you as a victim. Here is a link to a brochure on your rights as a victim:

Th police should have provided you a copy of the brochure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.