Wilmington, NC asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Contracts for North Carolina

Q: Subrogation claim after uninsured car accident?

I was in a car accident after my girlfriend knowingly let me drive it. The car was uninsured and unregistered at the time. But now the other drivers insurance company is trying to suspend the drivers licenses of both my girlfriend and I. She got me to sign a document stating i would both pay her back for the car, and pay for the other persons damages as well. Is there any way i can get out of it?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: If the her is your girlfriend, then you can go legal or realism. Realism is if you don't have the money now you won't be able to pay her back. Secondly, has the case gone to judgment? Depending on the amounts bankruptcy is an option. Another issue is what you got for signing it. If it lacked "consideration" or some benefit to you, you may have a voidable contract. However, a lot depends on what you signed. At this point you really need to at least get a consultation with a lawyer, face to face. You may have to pay a consult fee. Pay it and consult.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.