Warwick, RI asked in Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island

Q: Can my landlord evict me for accidentally stopping up toilet due to "negligence"? Said I'd have to pay plumber.

I accidentally dropped the toilet paper holder in the toilet while it was flushing, & it went down. Now it's not flushing properly. My landlord said it was "negligent" of me, and that I would have to pay the plumber. I'm on Section 8, but this is his private apartment building/house. My lease says he must perform maintenance. Is this within his rights to make me pay? Also, can he evict me for destruction of property? I'm an excellent tenant in all other regards. Pay my rent on time, not noisy, keep it clean, etc. I'm in Warwick, RI.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: You seem to admit that you clogged the toilet with the toilet paper roller. Read the lease carefully. You may end up being responsible for the removal of the foreign object from the toilet costs. Also, don't bring your phone in the bathroom.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.