Dayton, OH asked in Consumer Law and Construction Law for Ohio

Q: I purchased a shower surround wall and base from a local Lowes store in 2015. It is leaking in two cracked places.

The removal estimate and install of new, is $6800.00. Lowes will provide a new shower surround wall and base but will not pay for the removal or installation of the new. What is my recourse?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Martin Turner
Mark Martin Turner
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Your recourse depends on a few different issues. First, when it was installed, did the installer provide you a warranty? 2nd, what is the reason it is cracked and leaking? 3rd, does the product itself about warranty?

If the cracks or because of misuse by the consumer, you may not have any recourse.

If the cracks are due to a defect in the product, you then need to look at the product warranty. The warranty should state the period of time it is good for and what is covered. Manufacturer can warrant only the product itself and not the removal or installation of a new product.

If the cracks are due to faulty installation, then you would have a cause of action against the installer. That would be a consumer claim for breach of contract and breach of the warranty to install in a workmanlike manner. Such a claim can include triple damages as well as attorney's fees being paid by the installer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.