Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Construction Law for Ohio on
Q: Hired contractor to "raise and level house" Fix failed two months after paid in full (20K). What recourse do i have?

I filed a complaint with BBB and have all documentation, including contractor's acknowledgement of failed fix. What are my next steps?

Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
answered on Dec 12, 2022

If you are in a municipality that requires a contractor bond, then you can make a claim on the bond for the work that is not up to code up to the value of the bond. Otherwise you will have to bring a lawsuit against the contractor. It is likely that you would have a claim under the Consumer Sales... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Consumer Law and Contracts for Ohio on
Q: I sold a mobile home to a guy, He paid me cash for it. We agreed it had to be moved off the property it is sitting on

The buyer got a permit and hired a company to move it.

The company came and took the wrong trailer. They brought it back.

Then they called the buyer and told him that the trailer he bought was unsafe to move.

The trailer I sold to buyer is in better shape than the trailer... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Nov 18, 2022

He would have to sue you for breach of contract or on some other basis such as fraud, and the judge would determine if you have to return the money. If there is no written contract or anything else in writing to confirm what was agreed between you both, that would make the court case more... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Tax Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Business Law for Ohio on
Q: been erroneously garnished by the tax dept I am looking for the best course of action after....

They think I am running a business that has been defunct for 9 years. I produced evidence that this was not the case and proof I made them aware of this years ago. I sent this to the tax office, Attorney General and the courts. They were dragging their feet so I contacted Ohio Senate and got them... Read more »

David Ostrove
David Ostrove
answered on May 25, 2023

Keep om writing to the authorities not less often then every three weeks. Explain everything, in detail. Do not give up. Eventually you will indeed get their attention and they will respond in a correct positive manner. Don't give up!


Attorney at Law

6157 Wooster Ave

L.A., CA 90056

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for Ohio on
Q: I am in the middle of a junk debt lawsuit

I had court scheduled on March 31st, I went into court and they told me that there was no court that week they investigated why and told me on March 15th the plaintiff filed a motion for summary judgment, up to this point, I have been doing this Pro see and now I'm in a bind the scheduled a... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Apr 5, 2023

Call you local bar association or legal aid society. They maintain lists of lawyers who can help you. April 19 is two weeks away. Get on this tomorrow and you will have enough time.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Federal Crimes for Ohio on
Q: I live in Ohio, I was hired with the understanding I had the card. Hr found out and terminated due to drug policy.

They are a BWC drug free workplace but I was 10-99 and not even an employee. I never took a pre or post drug test. Is this legal?

Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
answered on Mar 16, 2023

Yes. Even if you were an employee, Ohio allows for termination of employees who use medical marijuana.

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability, Consumer Law and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: I need a lawyer for negligent work done to my vehicle & insurance paid for parts that were never replaced.

Nov ‘21 my car was in an accident that caused the whole engine to be replaced, radiator & battery. Jan ‘22 I received my car back & a week later the serpentine belt came off 2 times in 2 weeks. Nov ‘22 I hit a deer on my way to work. I received my car back in December ‘22 &... Read more »

Jaime Victor Papa
Jaime Victor Papa
answered on Jan 18, 2023

I am working on several cases similar to this. I need to learn a little more.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Banking for Ohio on
Q: Are down payments illegal? If so can I get my money back?
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Dec 23, 2022

Down payments are not illegal. They are legal and ubiquitous.

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: Debt collector is suing me in court in indiana. I currently live in Ohio. I havnt lived in Indiana since 2015.

They want me to set up payment or go to court. I can’t go to court it’s 7 hours away can’t take off of work. Is there anything I can do or can I just ignore it?

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward
answered on Apr 5, 2022

Talk to a bankruptcy lawyer in your community to help you evaluate your options.

Good Luck

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Banking for Ohio on
Q: I went to deposit 2 checks into my bank. I’ve had the account for at least 10 months. They’re holding my checks 10 days.

Is this even legal? I’ve got bills to pay. Family to feed. I deposited 3/25/22 and was told there’s a hold on it until 4/4/22.

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Mar 28, 2022

Holds on checks are not uncommon and legal, particularly if the check is out of the ordinary for the account. A check is not money, it is a promise to deliver money. When you give a bank a check, it has to clear through the federal reserve system before your bank actually gets the money from the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: Do I have any rights to void an agreement? Signed an agreement with an unlicensed contractor for repairs

He won't give me the receipts that I already paid him half upfront that was in the agreement, but also he lied telling my bf how much he would get for work.

Bridget Sciscento
Bridget Sciscento
answered on Feb 1, 2022

You may have a claim for breach of contract and/or a claim under the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act. You have not given a lot of details such as if the contractor has completed the work that you have paid him for. I would suggest reaching out to an attorney for an initial consultation.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: Signed an agreement with an unlicensed contractor to do repairs on from a fire and come to find out hes not licensed. C

Can I cancel the agreement? And he won't give me any receipts that I paid him up front...and he also lied about the amount he promised my bf working for him. We were helping him out with letting him have the job and getting his name out there and he tried to pull one over on we have... Read more »

Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
answered on Jan 27, 2022

Yes. If you've paid him, but only because he told you he was licensed, then the contract was induced by fraud. Take note that if he did any work, you may have to provide some kind of compensation.

This may also be a violation of Ohio's Consumer Sales Practices Act.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Ohio on
Q: If I cosigned for a for my aunt under fear and it has been 5 months ago can I report it stolen

I just want to get my name off the car

Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
answered on Jan 2, 2022

Can you provide a little more information?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Health Care Law for Ohio on
Q: My husband has Stage 4 prostate cancer, and we have several credit cards. We can’t afford to pay them.

Avoid bankruptcy - many medical expenses - Would you know what would happen if we just wrote a letter explaining our situation?

Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
answered on Oct 4, 2021

You may not be able to avoid bankruptcy, that's what it's there for. You can contact the credit card companies to see if they would be willing to work with you. Otherwise, a debt consolidation service may also be of assistance.

Best of luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Ohio on
Q: I have a receipt with a zero balance for a freezer bought from a store.

The store says they deleted the payment two hours later and I still owe them.

I have a different credit card now and can’t get the statements from that card.

Does my zero balance receipt work as payment in court

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Sep 29, 2021

I'm sure the court will look at the receipt but the store may well have evidence that they reversed the transaction after the time of the receipt.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Banking and Federal Crimes for Ohio on
Q: Am I in a legal obligation to give the money back

The other day I went and made a withdrawal from Checksmart and the woman who did my transaction gave me $675 and then gave me a receipt with my transaction my old amount my transaction amount and my new balance. After that she gave me the $675 in cash and when I got home she called me and told me... Read more »

Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
answered on Aug 31, 2021

Yes, you have an obligation to return the money.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Collections for Ohio on
Q: Stop payment on plumbing service

Our basement flooded and we received an estimate for work. We signed the estimate and we’re told it was “no problem” if we changed our mind. We told the company we were getting other estimates and to stop all work. They did an hour of work. We received other estimates that were 75% LESS than... Read more »

Bruce Martin Broyles
Bruce Martin Broyles
answered on Aug 26, 2021

Many credit card companies provide you with an option to dispute any charge on your card.

As soon as you dispute the matter, the credit card company with "chargeback" the amount from the Plumbing Company. The credit card company will then attempt to resolve the issue and...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Lemon Law for Ohio on
Q: How do I know when it's time to get a lawyer related to a consumer issue? Bad flooring, now on second repair.

Company sometimes doesn't answer their phone. I want my entire floor replaced. I'm tired of having repairs.

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Aug 13, 2021

It sounds like it probably is time to contact a lawyer right now.

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Products Liability and Banking for Ohio on
Q: Can a contract clause absolutely eliminate or waive a citizen's right to a trial by jury?

I have noticed this clause in many end user agreements such as computer and phone software, product and service warranty terms, various financial applications, etc. It is always one-sided (written by the provider) and directed at the buyer. Sometimes these terms include mandatory use of a (or... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Aug 2, 2021

Right to a jury applies to criminal matters, not civil cases like business contracts. Rights to a jury in civil cases depend on state law, and can usually be waived as a matter of contract. That's why those waivers appear in so many business contracts.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Ohio on
Q: Can a car dealership keep your down-payment. After a loan has been canceled ..not a repossession but a cancelation..

The dealer has the car has been canceled by lender..but no refund of downpaynt

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
answered on Jul 27, 2021

You would need to read the contract to see whether or not the down payments is refundable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.