Veneta, OR asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Criminal Law for Oregon

Q: if a person executes a note and trust deed in favor of a non-existent company styled a a "lender", is that fraud?

Details: the "lender" did not exist; it also falsely claimed to be a New York corporation.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: This doesn't make sense. If party "A" gave money to party "B" in exchange for a promisory note there is a secured transaction. If you are saying that the documents listed party "A" as a New York Corporation that didn't exist, the fact remains that there were two parties with the intent to do a loan and have it secured. If you are looking for an excuse that party "B" can use to take the money and not pay it back, is not going to happen. The law doesn't support people taking money and not having to pay it back. The transaction however may be flawed if there is a problem with the parties named on the documents. Without all the details no attorney can help you figure out how this is likely to resolve. But there are many possibilities. The law will sometimes impose a constructive trust over someone's property to recognize that someone gave money or loaned it to buy the property. The trust deed may be flawed, so the lender may have to just file a lawsuit for the money and get a judgment which will become a lien against the property. There may be other ways this plays out. I strongly doubt that the result will be that "A" just loses their money. On the flip side, if "A" is engaged in the business of making loans and "A" didn't follow all the laws and requirements for a lender, then "A" may be subject to some penalties. Again, hard to say without all the details.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.