Farmingdale, NY asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for New York

Q: i got stopped by a cop and i had weed and a taser on me i was 17 when it happened and i since turned 18 what should i do

i was in a park doing nothing and a cop came up to me and started going through my bag where he found a small amount of weed in a grinder and a taser they didn't arrest me what should i expect for a sentencing or punishment and can i plea the 4th if i was sitting on a park bench in the middle of the day

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Litman
Michael D. Litman
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • White Plains, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You need to hire a lawyer to go over all of the facts of the case with you to determine if you might be able to suppress evidence if the search wasn't done properly. It is impossible for anyone to say in this forum, and you shouldn't post details here since this is open to the public. The possible outcome will depend on your prior record, and the facts of the case. It may be possible to get the charges reduced, and if there is a suppression issue, it may be possible to get it dismissed. Speak to an attorney immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.