Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law, Estate Planning and Health Care Law for Ohio

Q: What do I need to do to become my brother's guardian/make decisions that affect his life and well being?

I am currently POA for his medical decisions but he has other problems that need to be addressed and I need to be able to make those decisions. He needs psychiatric help and drug treatment and is a danger to himself.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: A person can apply to the OH Probate Court in the county in which he lives to be his guardian. There are two kinds - guardian of his person to make medical decisions, and guardian of his estate to make financial decisions. A person can be both, but the guardian must live in OH. A POA agent does not have to live in OH. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to consult an OH attorney in the country where he lives.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.