Wenatchee, WA asked in Immigration Law for Washington

Q: Can I adjust status based on 245i, with I130 approved in '92 after deportation in '91?

My USC husband petitioned for me in '91, I130 was approved in '92. I was deported '91, and reentered in '93 and have remained ever since. Will there be an issue if I try to adjust status based on our 1992 application? Or am I able to adjust even though I was deported in '91 and reentered in '93?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J Hartnett
Matthew J Hartnett
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Collingswood, NJ

A: Possibly. The immigration laws were different before IIRIRA passed congress and was signed into law. This occurred in 1996. I would encourage you to consult with an attorney for a complete case evaluation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.