Inglewood, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: Is there any way to change a final divorce Judgment because my ex-wife hid money from California court?

Recently found out that my ex-wife didn't

disclose $335,610 in Canadian Bank accounts during our divorce.

Money was from part marriage gifts and

part inheritance. Ex-wife didn't want me

to make a claim on the money so

didn't disclose it.

Her attorney must of known because she had her Canadian taxes that showed her Bank accounts, that's how I eventually found out. Ex-wife claimed to be broke

so all disso-masters were computed

on only my gross income not taking into

account her hidden Canadian bank accounts.

Is there anything I can do to change my situation?

And would the California Family Court even

listen to these facts since this is all post divorce?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can report this to the family court judge as perjury and request an appeal. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

1 user found this answer helpful

Indy  Colbath
Indy Colbath
  • Walnut Creek, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Depending upon when your divorce was entered, you may be able to set aside the judgment due to fraud. Furthermore, support is always modifiable post-judgment based on changes in circumstances. You should consult an attorney and ask them if the set-aside remedy is available based on the statute of limitations.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.