Loveland, OH asked in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Ohio

Q: My father was injured on someone's property and later died as a result.

My 88 year old father fell on someone's property and broke his neck which led to his hospitalization and dieing a horrible death.

My mother is old fashioned a32nd does not want to sue them or their insurance.

I on the other hand am very angry and also worried about all the bills she is now responsible for as well as her well being.

Am I able to sue being the son? If so do I have any sort of a case? What type of lawyer would take this case pro bono?

2 Lawyer Answers
Matthew S Flemming
Matthew S Flemming
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: I'm sorry for your loss.

The administrator of your father's estate would be the only person who could initiate a lawsuit.

There are a lot of things that go into determining whether or not a property owner is responsible for a fall and resulting injuries, and there are also a lot of defenses available to property owners. You need to consult with an attorney to discuss the potential for bringing a lawsuit against the property owner.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: I suggest under the cirucmstances why not get in touch with a member of the Ohio Assn for Justice--they give free consults and can tell you if your dad's estate would have a claim anyway. If there is a claim it would be taken on a contingent fee--no --pro bono necessary. However if your dad can't testify, it will be difficult to show negligence perhaps. so get the consult.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.