New York, NY asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Rhode Island

Q: Do I have legal recourse, monetary claim against state agency?

My stupid led to a night in the ACI. I was wearing jewelry approximate retail value of about $30k. This occurred back in 2011 I was shocked that their procedure was to take all my jewelry and belongings put it into 8 by 11 mailer and mail it out with no tracking what so ever: fyi they do now. They gave me no option to have it picked up. I live in a very rural area, I cannot get shipment sometimes because my address is not recognized by most USPS systems. The jewelry parcel never made it to my house the AC I insisted they sent it out I filled out my address on to it and it went supposedly into a box to be picked up by the postman. I initiated investigations with the Postal Service, local postmaster and even contacted the ACI investigation Unit said to no avail: with no tracking the USPS couldn't do much. A month ago ,an officer who worked at committing at the time I was fired for theft of jewelry, other items. I now truly feel this was internal theft not postal mishandling.

1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: After six years have lapsed, it is unlikely you will get to a satisfactory resolution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.