Dade City, FL asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Criminal Law and Family Law for Florida

Q: i have a child with someone in fl, in a new relationship and have a newborn. Can we move for a better job opportunity?

My first child's father we were never married or have any court plans in act I've read that if I wanted to leave I would not be violating fl law because there's no court papers for visitation! I'm with my fiancée now and we have a newborn and getting married soon and we have better job opportunities in another state

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabina Tomshinsky
Sabina Tomshinsky
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Gainesville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Based on your post, it appears that you will be able to move as the father of your first child has no rights to the child. However, please be aware that in the event he files a paternity action within 6 months of your move, you may be required to return the child to Florida.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.