High Point, NC asked in Elder Law for North Carolina

Q: to get someone to talk to grandmother who's in her right mind with excellent health so she can live the rest of life h

Her son has power of attorney she grandmother is 86 owns her home and is in good health in her right mind son put her in nursing home and is trying to sell grandmothers house grandmother needs help to revoke power of attorney but don't know what to do please help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Inna Fershteyn
Inna Fershteyn
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: First the POA doesn't really give the son the right to put someone in the nursing home- it's more of a financial document. If mom is in the right mind she can say NO. It's healthcare proxy that allows one to make health care decisions.

Second grandma can hire an attorney who wiii write to the son that POA is revoked. She most likely needs Medicaid or insurance which will pay for home care aid- it's a separate question that needs to be addressed.

Inna Fershteyn


6 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.